Networking and research
Fire safety research
IFAB has been very active in fire safety research. IFAB is a sub-contractor of the consortum (BAM, FOGTEC and STUVA) in the research project SUVEREN (Safety of City Underground Structures due to the use of New Energy Carriers). The project studies the security of unterground traffic infrastructure under the influence of new energy carriers. IFAB is responsible for the execution of experimental tests about specific tasks. Large scale fire tests (fires in Lithium-accumulator packs or in gases) will show, whether the effects of critical events on the infrastructure itself or the users can be reduced via the application of specially adapted security measures.
Another example for a major research project where IFAB was involved in the European research project SOLIT2 (Safety Of Life In Tunnels). IFAB planned and realised large scale fire tests together with the Institut der Feuerwehr (IdF) Heyrothsberge. This project was the largest one for fire safety in tunnels. The SOLIT2 test programme included over 40 full scale fire tests in combination with fire-fighting systems. The aim of the project was to analyse compensation of other safety systems in tunnels. More infomation is found on www.SOLIT.info. UPTUN and SOLIT1 are other well-known underground research projects where IFAB or its key personnel have had a major role.
IFAB’s international co-operation network covers numerous major fire safety research organisations and approval bodies. IFAB and its key personnel also work on various standardisation committees such as EN/DIN and NFPA. A list of the different co-operation partners, standards committees with IFAB personnel and approval bodies (IFAB tests meet their testing requirements) is given below.
– National Fire Protection Association (NFPA750, NFPA502), www.nfpa.org
– European Norms (EN45545), www.cen.eu
– VdS Schadenverhütung GmbH, www.vds.de
– TÜV SÜD Rail GmbH, www.tuev-sued.de/rail
– TÜV NORD GmbH, www.tuev-nord.de/de
– STUVA, Studiengesellschaft für unterirdische Verkehrsanlagen e.V., www.stuva.de
– International Water Mist Association, IWMA, www.iwma.net
– ITA-COSUF, Committee on Operational Safety of Underground Facilities, www.ita-aites.org/wg-committees/committees/ita-cosuf