Networking and research
IFAB has been very active in fire safety research. A good example is the SOLIT2 (Safety Of Life In Tunnels) research project, which had a budget of some 4 million euros funded by the German Ministry of Transport. IFAB was the project leader for this most recent massive research project relating to tunnel fire safety. The SOLIT2 test programme included over 40 full scale fire tests combined with state-of-art fire suppression systems, studying the compensation of other safety systems in tunnels (see www.SOLIT.info). UPTUN and SOLIT1 are other well-known underground research projects where IFAB or its key personnel have had a major role.
Nuclear power plants, various industrial applications and rail vehicles are other applications where IFAB has done extensive research during the last years. IFAB has carried out fire and smoke tests in countries including Germany, the UK, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, Poland, Russia, Norway, Sweden, Czech, China, India, Japan, Brazil and the US.
IFAB’s international co-operation network covers numerous major fire safety research organisations and approval bodies. IFAB and its key personnel also work on various standardisation committees such as EN/DIN and NFPA. A list of the different co-operation partners, standards committees with IFAB personnel and approval bodies (IFAB tests meet their testing requirements) is given below.
– National Fire Protection Association (NFPA750, NFPA502), www.nfpa.org
– European Norms (EN45545), www.cen.eu
– VdS Schadenverhütung GmbH, www.vds.de
– TÜV SÜD Rail GmbH, www.tuev-sued.de/rail
– TÜV NORD GmbH, www.tuev-nord.de/de
– STUVA, Studiengesellschaft für unterirdische Verkehrsanlagen e.V., www.stuva.de
– International Water Mist Association, IWMA, www.iwma.net
– ITA-COSUF, Committee on Operational Safety of Underground Facilities, http://www.ita-aites.org/en/wg-committees/committees/ita-cosuf