Conducting fire tests and smoke tests are a key business for IFAB. IFAB’s experienced team has already carried out over 1800 full scale fire tests and smoke tests in total. More than 200 of the full scale tests were carried out in test tunnels. IFAB organized and realized tests in many countries including Germany, the UK, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, Poland, Russia, Norway, Sweden, Czech, China, India, Japan, Brazil, Canada, Israel and the US.
The protection objective oriented verification for compensatory measures as the approval of the efficiency of
• extinguishing systems and fire-fighting systems (water mist, aerosol, inert gases),
• fire detection system as well as
• smoke and heat venting systems
takes place either experimentally by fire tests and/or smoke tests, or mathematically by CFD-simulations. CFD-simulations are additionally validated by the test results from fire tests and smoke tests.
The planning, realization and evaluation of tests as well as CFD simulations is done for the following areas:
• for standard and special buildings (industrial buildings, facilities for meeting places or accommodations, industrial facilities, storages, machinery rooms and plants)
• for rolling stock (passenger areas und machinery rooms und technical cabinets) as well as
• for tunnels and metro stations
The realized full scale fire tests in tunnels cover various scenarios with flammable liquids or demanding solid fires up to sizes of 150 MW.
Our fire tests were part of international research projects such as SUVEREN, UPTUN, SOLIT and SOLIT2 or related to private operators like Eurotunnel, Dartford tunnel or Tunnel Mont Blanc.
References for the applied engineering methods can be found here.